The litigation practice at Ingber & Associates includes commercial, real estate, employment and entertainment-related disputes, although the firm handles nearly every facet of civil litigation in state and federal court, and before arbitration panels. The firm has significant experience working on behalf of individuals and businesses through all phases of litigation and dispute resolution, including trial and arbitration.
In its commercial litigation practice, the firm has expertise in connection with disputes between business partners and joint venture partners. The firm’s recent successes have included:
- Representation of doctors and dentists in connection with fraud and breach of contract claims following the acquisition of another physician’s practice
- Representation of equity investors in a public reporting company in pursuit of claims against officers and directors for breach of fiduciary duty and mismanagement
- Representation of clothing designer in dispute with manufacturers and suppliers in connection with fraud claims and breach of contract claims arising under the commercial code
- Representation of business partners in dispute arising from a joint venture with insurance company to exploit specialty lines of insurance
- Disputes between long-time real estate business partners in connection with the dissolution of the joint venture and allocation of assets among partners
- Representation of shareholders in corporate dispute resulting in the involuntary dissolution of the corporations
Real Estate Litigation
In its real estate litigation practice, the firm has significant experience handling all aspects of real estate matters. The firm’s recent successes have included:
- Representation of owners of commercial real property in connection with easement disputes, boundary-line disputes, title insurance disputes and landlord-tenant disputes.
- Representation of homeowners in connection with claims against a lender for wrongful foreclosure, and obtaining restoration of property ownership to client and modification of loan agreement
- Representation of borrowers and lenders in connection with judicial and nonjudicial foreclosure proceedings
In its employment practice, the firm provides counseling and guidance to businesses and employees in connection with their employment matters. The firm’s recent successes have included:
- Representation of management in connection with dozens of employment matters on behalf one of California’s largest employers, including matters arising under union collective bargaining agreements
- Representation of individuals and employers in connection with claims alleging sexual harassment
- Representation of employers in connection with defense of wrongful termination claims
- Representation of employers in connection with defense of racial discrimination claims
- Representation of employers in connection with claims by employees for violation of California’s wage and hour laws
- Representation of departing executive-level employees in connection with the negotiation of separation agreements
The firm has represented numerous producers, distributors, sales agents and talent agencies in disputes arising in the entertainment industry. The firm’s recent successes have included:
- Representation of the producers of an Emmy Award-winning television series in connection with litigation against its producing partner involving allegations of mismanagement, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- Representation of motion picture sales agents in connection with claims arising from the distribution of feature films in matters pending before IFTA, state court and federal court
- Representation of film financiers in connection with claims against producers for breach of contract arising from the production and distribution of a motion picture slate
The firm has represented creditors and trustees in litigation pending in bankruptcy court. The following are the firm’s recent successes:
- The firm has successfully sought the dismissal of a Debtor’s Chapter 11 case on the basis that it was filed in bad faith
- The firm has successfully obtained judgments for nondischargeability arising from a Debtor’s prepetition fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- The firm has served as special counsel on behalf of Chapter 7 Trustees in state court litigation
- The firm represents individuals in connection with accounting and breach of fiduciary duty claims arising from probate proceedings.
- The firm has represented potentially responsible parties in connection with environmental litigation arising from contamination, including claims arising under CERCLA.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- The firm utilizes every available form of alternative dispute resolution in seeking out practical solutions on behalf of its clients. In addition to representing his clients’ interests at mediations and settlement conferences, Mr. Ingber has served as a Settlement Officer on behalf of the Los Angeles Superior Court.
The firm has extensive transactional experience representing producers, financiers and sales agents in connection with entertainment contracts. The firm’s recent successes have included:
- Representation of Executive Producer of the Daytime Emmy Awards and providing all legal work in connection with the awards show
- Representation of producers of television series in connection with the negotiation of digital rights agreements and sales agency agreements
- Representation of film financiers in connection with the rights under motion picture investment agreement
Real Estate Transactions
- The firm represents commercial property owners in connection with their various real estate holdings. The firm’s recent successes include the closing of a purchase of a commercial shopping mall, as well as a multimillion-dollar loan assumption.